Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 Fathers

I have been very fortunate and blessed to have three wonderful fathers in my life.

My dad: Bruce Taylor Neville


This is the dad I remember best, the dad from my adult years. 10 years ago he titled this picture "Getting Old".  My memories of dad from childhood are of vacations to the mountains and beach, teaching me to ski and 4-wheel drive and our informative and stimulating dinner conversations. The best advice he ever gave me was "You are responsible for your own happiness. Your parents, husband or children can"t make you happy, only you can."

My father-in-law: David Dunford Lingard

As a doctor's daughter, I was raised having the latest medical advice and treatment always available.  Dad Lingard believed in a little more natural approach. He was going to the chiropractor, juicing fresh fruits and vegetables and taking vitamins, garlic supplements and fish oil before anyone even knew about vitamin E and antioxidants. He gave us a subscription to "Prevention" magazine as a wedding present.  I was appalled.  In the end we agreed to disagree when talking about medical care. He died in 1997 when his heart finally gave out. I  imagine how he would smile if he could see that he was right all along.  He would be thrilled that I make juice smoothies in my Vita-Mix every day.  He is greatly missed.

The father of my children:  John Luton Lingard
                                                  
Some of my best memories of John as a father are watching him do things with our children. He spent hours in the surf at Padre Island teaching the boys how to boogie board. We went backpacking down the Grand Canyon, in southern Utah and Glacier National Park. He has run miles and miles with them.  We have rafted down rivers in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and Oregon. John is now doing things with a second generation, his grandchildren. How lucky they are.

6 comments:

  1. you know, some of my fondest memories of John are of him giving us all marriage advice while we were living in Grandpa and Grandma's house. He gave great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! and I love rafting with John too! also, I remember when I was in high school he asked me if I had a "main squeeze" and I thought that was adorable! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that first picture of John! He is adventurous, fun and hard-working. There is a legacy of good fathers in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Wyoming! And what Cali said ;-D
    Nice tribute to your dad as well, I love the happiness advice. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that you had a blog! Loved reading your update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading the stories you have on here. I miss Grandpa Lingard. He passed away in 1997 though, the same year Adam and I were married.

    ReplyDelete