We lost two blue spruces trees, one of which was our first Christmas tree in this house, 17 years ago. We were fortunate, they didn't hit the house as they fell. Our emergency preparedness rated a B or so. I had flashlights, batteries, lighters and emergency candles where I could easily find them. Our ceramic glass front gas fireplaces, chosen especially as a secondary heat source, kept the living areas warm enough, especially since we didn't have children to keep warm. The main thing we were lacking was a generator to keep the freezer and refrigerator working. But being without electricity was getting old and I was starting to get a little cranky (and a little stinky.)
So when I woke up Sunday morning at 5:00 without the cheery red glow from my beside clock I was not happy. John insisted on taking the branches from the spruces to the dump even though it was Sunday. I have to admit I was a little upset with him. He was worried about the weather forecast of more wind and snow.
![]() |
| Ward youth helping load our trailer, thankfully we had a front end loader as well |
John was not the only one worried about the forecast. We got word (our phones weren't working) that they were cancelling church to clean up the storm debris in our ward before the next storm and our Tahoe and trailer were needed to haul the downed trees to a holding field in west Kaysville. Ward members of all ages turned out to help. Children were working along side their 80 year old neighbors. Non members came out to help when they saw their pile of debris being thrown into trailers. 150 people working to help one another. We got done in four hours what could have taken weeks.
![]() |
| Waiting to unload. |
For some reason I was almost moved to tears when the truck and trailer next to ours finished unloading their trailer and without saying a word, turned around and started helping us with ours. It didn't matter that they weren't even from our stake, it had to be done and they were helping where it was needed. By the time we made our last load, the National Guard was there, Kaysville City police was directing traffic and heavy equipment was being used to help unload the trailers.
![]() |
| Our last load was wider and taller than the Tahoe, We were glad to have help unloading. |



Jeanne, this is a lovely post. I want to copy it for Matthias. It brought tears to my eyes, too. We also hauled out five loads (in Brett's trailer). We helped those alongside empty their loads. That's where we heard they were dumping at Nicholls park in Fruit Heights, much closer to us. They had an inmate work crew there from the Davis County Jail, helping us unload. And a front loader/bulldozer to pack it all in. There is an impressive stack on dumped wood there now! Our two final loads were the stacks in front of our own home. People we didn't know from another neighborhood were working alongside us. The phrase in my mind? "These people are latter-day saints!" It gave new meaning to that often used title. And I was in tears as I drove around our neighborhood this morning after driving Caleb. All those towering stacks of debris? Gone! I remember working so hard yesterday morning, and Roark and I feeling that we (our entire ward) wouldn't even make a dent. Now it is all gone, cleaned up and scoured. Amazing!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. That's what the church is for! What an intense week.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the beautiful post! Sounds like the winds were horrific.
ReplyDelete