Tuesday, May 29, 2012

We're OK

We got home from our annual Memorial Day Desolation/Grey river trip yesterday. It might be our last annual trip as permits for the river are going to be award by a lottery system, so it will be the luck of the draw whether or not we get a permit.
Day 1: Windy and Warm  
Luckily Thomas knew how to tie the boats together.

As John put it "because of  a windy forecast and aging rowers including 2 with heart issues" we decided to motor the first day.  We have always looked at groups using motors with derision (and slight envy) as they cruised past us on the flat water of the first day. We need to get between 25 and 30 miles in that day to not have extra long days the rest of the trip. Normally, with swift, high water due to snow run off and calm weather this is entirely doable by rowing. But after our last trip with high winds blowing us up river and very little snow melt this year we wanted a little more horse power.

Three rafts in the back and two in the front.


 



John as captain of our flotilla 




After a few false starts with the motor we were on our way cruising at about 4-6 miles an hour even with the wind blowing up river at 20 mph. It was like a great bit party boat or "Water World" depending on your outlook. We even saw a bear on the shore trying to chase us down river! We easily made 25 miles and were in camp by 3:30 that afternoon and had an excellent spaghetti dinner prepared by Roark and Melanie


Day 2: Very Windy
We started our second day very optimistically with clear skies and fairly warm temperatures. We separated into our individual rafts because the river narrowed, sped up and formed more rapids. Unfortunately the predicted high winds arrived. By that afternoon Brett was clocking winds gust up to 30 mph which is enough to stop a raft dead in the water even with a strong current. Some time in the afternoon after fighting winds for a while three of our rafts pulled over to regroup after going through a tricky rapid. Roger, Rachel and Ann's boat soon joined us but Roark and Melanie's raft was no where to been seen. We finally spotted Melanie up river on the shore waving at us, but we couldn't figure out what she was trying to tell us. So we had no choice but to wait. Finally we saw their boat coming around the river bend and every thing was OK. They had just pulled over to wait out the wind for a while. We decided we needed a some kind of signal to let others know everyone was OK. Kerri and Anikka came up with this:
OK spelled out with body language.

Even Thomas was a little worried, he was rowing Annie's little yellow boat with Monica and said he thought they might flip if he didn't keep the bow or stern pointed down river. We stopped after 15 miles around 4:30 at a somewhat sheltered camp site and were glad we did. The wind continued to howl up to 45 miles an hour. We managed a quick dinner of pulled pork sandwiches, eaten standing up with no plates or silverware before we retreated to our tents to get out of the wind. 
Day 3: Windy and Cold
We got up to clear skies, but the temperature had dropped . (By that I mean probably highs in the 60s.)  But we were hopeful the wind wouldn't blow. It did. I finally had John pull over so I could put on some tights under my splash pants. When all else fails I rowed the boat to warm up. But it wasn't so cold that Thomas didn't get Caleb into the water! 
All the wind was almost forgotten when the day ended with a fabulous sandy beach camp, warmer sunny skies, hot water to wash our face and hair and dutch oven lasagna and cobbler for dinner. 

Day 4: Breezy and Cool
The Lingards and Bennetts

The girls: Kerri, Anikka, Jeanne, Annie, Melanie, Monica, Haley, Rachel and Ann!

John-dear, the reason I go.
Last day on the river. A successful trip. I often wonder why I do these river trips. They take a lot of time, are a lot of work, and cause a lot of anxiety. But I get to spend time with people I love. The family time is priceless. It is worth the cold, the uncomfortable conditions, even the anxiety. I get to be with my dear husband John, who works so hard to make these trips work. This trip I was able to watch Annie row rapids with confidence, in her own boat. I watched Thomas tenderly take care of Monica the way his father has always taken care of me. I saw Monica, on her second camping trip ever, be brave, cheerful and helpful when I was sure she wasn't feeling that way because she knew the trip was important to Thomas. I have gotten to know a brother in law, Roger in a way I never would have imagined him. He is funny strong and loves the river to the point he swam all last winter to be strong enough for Joe Hutch Canyon Rapid! I laugh and cry and eat with my brothers and sisters and know how lucky I am that we are a family who enjoys each other's company. 

I am a little stronger after every river trip. I have conquered fear for a time. Each time I face a rapid or row the boat is a victory. The beautiful river calms my soul. I know that I am OK.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! I am living vicariously through your blog. Thank you for posting about it! I had fun the year we went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post. Thanks for giving us the day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, I LOVE this, and it brought a tear to my eye. Well said. I liked how you described our decision to pick up a little more horse-power...

    AND I especially loved the comradarie and togetherness on that first day as a floating barge. It was great being so close together. Plus, I think we scared a bear ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad I missed this!!! I love that you blog!

    ReplyDelete