Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ball, Anyone?

I took mom to see dad today. When we got there he was sound asleep in his favorite chair.  We couldn't wake him up. Debbie, the activities director, came in and got all the residents who were able as well as visitors in a circle and pulled out a small beach ball. She then started bouncing the ball to the  people in the circle. 

It was a very bittersweet activity. As soon as dad saw the ball he woke up and started to play. He would catch the ball and throw it back with a spin. It was a very conscious throw, like he knew exactly what he was doing. I saw a hint of the father I know and love in that throw. 

I saw more animation and life in the residents playing this simple game that I had ever seen before. 90 year old Colleen, who is almost always grumpy came out of her room to play and smiled and tossed the ball to mom who is so nice to her.  Norma, who thinks she personally knows the queen and prince jumped up to chase the ball whenever it got away. Elva, a small redhead with long lacquered nails and vacant eyes had a gentle smile on her face the whole time. Karen, who see things and talks to people only she can see threw the ball with gusto. And Renee, the newest resident played with her faithful husband Pete. Her dementia is not as bad as others in the memory unit, but the signs are there. 

I caught a glimpse of what these lost souls must have been like before their minds betrayed them. I think I would have enjoyed knowing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment