Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pies


I had a headache last Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and today (Sunday). I am seeing a pattern. Very frustrating. 

To make me feel like I was doing something productive instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself I started on the quilt blocks for my Carpenter's Block quilt in moment of well being.  I decided to go with a three color quilt instead of a two color quilt using blues, greens and white. Once I realized that the permiter blocks were not the same block, but mirror image blocks, I had to draft the blocks twice. They aren't too hard to make, but I have to pay close attention to the order I piece each strip. 


We had Shelley's birthday pizza and pie night at our house last night. We made six pizzas: 2 pesto, asparagras, mushroom and chicken, 2 barbecue chicken, bacon and cilantro, a ham and pineapple and pepperoni and olive. I found a new pizza dough recipe based on the overnight No Knead Bread that I really like, plus it can be made the day before which takes a lot of stress out of making pizza for 20 people. I used 20 cups of flour for the six pizzas.  A slightly blurry picture with Anikka,  but it shows the yumminess. I think Kerri, Ann and I are finally figuring out homemaid pizzas.


We also had 8 pies, it was better than Thanksgiving.   I made a Lemon Curd Tart with a new recipe that was the best lemon pie I have ever made. It actually set up and looked beautiful.  Melanie made cherry sour cream, Shelley's favorite, of course Ann made chocolate and Tailor made apple.  


Mom started the pies for birthdays because, as I remember it she didn't like to make layer cakes. To be honest I can't tell if this is Jayne or me, but we both had the same skinny bow legged legs. 


I didn't do much better with my layer cake for Chris' birthday. 


So I started making trifles, a combination of pie and cake. This one was for Monica's birthday.


4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. And, I just saw an overnight pizza dough recipe I'm trying tomorrow (just finished the dough). Sorry about the headaches. They are annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, too. The pizzas were delicious! I'd love the new crust recipe. Glad the sour cherry cream pies turned out (not sour cream, sour cherries ;-D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, too, about those headaches! It sounds like the pattern is almost every day!

    ReplyDelete