Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Headache at the Beach. . .

The week before conference I went to Mexico with Jayne and Dave. My headaches had been continuous since January and I was reaching the end of my rope.  On the spur of the moment I called Jayne and asked her if I could crash the trip they were planning with some friends the next week.  She graciously agreed and I bought a very expensive airplane ticket to Tucson on Tuesday and left on Saturday. 

The weather was perfect, sunny with highs in the low 80s and lows in the high 50s. I walked, paddle boarded, kayaked and sat in the sun. One afternoon I sat on the beach by myself as the tide was coming in and didn't see another person for several hours.  It was lovely. 


Jayne's friends were nice, but I didn't feel like I had to socialize with them all the time. If they started talking about their ward or old friends, I just quietly left the room. No one seemed to mind. Jayne had her friends help with meals like we always do and it was fun to eat different food than we usually do. One couple grilled salmon that actually tasted pretty good to me. 


Jayne has lost over 20 pounds in the past year, so I decided I would try to lose weight as well. We both had gained the menopause 20 pounds. I was at an all time high last summer  and hating it but couldn't get the motivation to do anything about it. But, by golly if Jayne could do it so could I. Who says we're not competitive? I am down 7 pounds here and hoping to match her 20. 

Unfortunately, the beach didn't make my headaches much better. I had them while I was there and the week after I got home. But a headache at the beach is better than a headache at home anyday. I asked John and Thomas to give me a blessing a few days after I got home. I had done all I could to function with my migraines: drugs, diet coke, exercise and finally the beach. It was time to ask the Lord for help.  I haven't had immediate relief, but they are slowly abating. At least I an functional more often than not. Happy day. I am so grateful for priesthood blessings. 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your headaches. so discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry about your headaches!!!! the beach trip looks fabulous.xoxo

    ReplyDelete