A couple of years bfore med school.
I would have loved to have read these when I was a young mother and told the nieces and nephews I would record them for all to read.
Dec. 5, 1960
Dear Dad and Mother,
Merry Christmas! We have about 6 or 8 inches of snow outside and it is about 25 degrees. We really had a storm and all the roads were slippery ad right now the world is just beautiful. I am finally getting ready for Christmas. I haven't heard from you for so long I still don't know what to send you but i guess you are even busier that I. Bruce si working hard on finals which come in two weeks. He will be out of school the 17th and i thing Roark will be out of school about the 22or 23. it is really fun. I finally got a skirt and vest made for Jeanne and now I have to get Jayne' made. Their dolls this Christmas are so small it makes me swear every time I start to sew for them but it is fun.
We were quite upset about David when we heard of his sickness. That would be so miserable and we do hope all is all right with him now. The first six months are the hardest according to many returned missionaries.
We are all well and fee so blessed. I had a stomach upset and stayed down for most of one day but i am fine now. If i just wouldn't gain so much weight i"m sure I would feel even better. I haven't really gained an awfully lot but it is too much and fora more than is necessary. I finally finished my maternity outfit and it is so pretty. In fact I like the material so well i hate to see it in maternity clothes. We went to Mother and Dad N's for Thanksgiving and it was very nice. Nancy had a little baby boy (I think I told you) and Ann and Bob were there so were 14 grandchildren and the oldest was 5 years. That is quite a collection. The children were remarkably good and, of course I thought ours were the best behaved. Stacey is so cute. We just love her but she is really becoming a little hellion ofa two year old. The other day I was changing the bed linen and I had the clean sheets on the bench. she was awfully quiet and when I checked on her she had spread a sheet out and was sprinkling it with the milk in her bottle. She was doing a very good job I might add but I didn't was milky sheets. Right now she got into the crackers and was passing them out to Jeanne and Jayne and their tow friends they have visiting them. The children have such a hard time because there just isn't much room and they just don't know what to do with themselves. Brett is visiting his friend and Jeanne and Jayne wanted to go. I thing three children is too much to invade any one household, in fact two children are a lot but these girls that are here are quite close in age and the older one couldn't come because the younger one put up such a fuss and then wouldn't have anyone to play with. So they both came and have been good. one is the twins age and the other is Brett's age. the children are growing up so much it doesn't seem possible. For the first time the other day Roark said he wanted to be a doctor. Bruce tied a piece of narrow rubber tubing around his are, (you know how they they do when they draw blood from your arm) and showed hi how to find the veins and then did it on Scot and me and Roark was quite impressed. Roark is quick but actually too quick and doesn't take enough time to observe. Scot is very slow and observes everything. Both of them decided after Bruce left that they would like to be a doctor. Bob gets a little discouraged because Scot isn't at all impressed that he is going to be a lawyer but he is very thrilled with the fact that Bruce will be a doctor and can do thing on him right now. I wish you could see this Stacey and watch her. She is the cutest thing. She is learning to say a few words and she is just a mast at facial expressions. She has picked up so many actions and expressions from Brett it is funny. That Brett is a joy too. He'll come up to me and say "I love you Mama, I lobe Grandpa Trump too." He has asked several toe when Grandpa Trump will be home and why he is in Hawaii. He is the hardest on of all and yet in many ways he is so easy. All he wants for Christmas is a "cockin rifle". He wont be able to cock it, but that is what he wants. His little mind just amazed us it reasons so well. He is a quiet little boy most of the time and then it seems as if all hell breaks loose.
Stacey just saw the bus is waiting to go outside to meet Roark. She is so thrilled when he gets home. Brett just came home and seven children all talking at the same time is just too many so I will close and get the two girls off to their homes and get lunch for mine before they starve to death.
We love you and would so love to hear from you. We know you are busy. I don't think I have ever wanted you to be home as much as I have this Christmas and for this baby. We still don't know quite how we are going to manage the children. We have been so blessed I really don't worry but I do wish you were going to be here. Take care of yourself and write. (I just wrote to David and I have written him two letters. Don't worry about my writing. I will try to write once a week. Now That i know he gets his letters twice a week I will try Harder. If I didn't get a letter off in time to get to him on Saturday I just wait until the next time.
You have a birthday coming up, Dad, can you thing of anything you'd like us to send you. We love you so much and would like to show you in some tangible way. How are you feeling. Is your weight down enough for me to make some candy for you?
Love,
All of us
Stacey just saw the bus is waiting to go outside to meet Roark. She is so thrilled when he gets home. Brett just came home and seven children all talking at the same time is just too many so I will close and get the two girls off to their homes and get lunch for mine before they starve to death.
We love you and would so love to hear from you. We know you are busy. I don't think I have ever wanted you to be home as much as I have this Christmas and for this baby. We still don't know quite how we are going to manage the children. We have been so blessed I really don't worry but I do wish you were going to be here. Take care of yourself and write. (I just wrote to David and I have written him two letters. Don't worry about my writing. I will try to write once a week. Now That i know he gets his letters twice a week I will try Harder. If I didn't get a letter off in time to get to him on Saturday I just wait until the next time.
You have a birthday coming up, Dad, can you thing of anything you'd like us to send you. We love you so much and would like to show you in some tangible way. How are you feeling. Is your weight down enough for me to make some candy for you?
Love,
All of us


I loved reading this!
ReplyDelete2 year olds are the best
ReplyDelete2 year olds are the best
ReplyDelete