August 20, 1961
Dear Folks,
It was so good to hear from you. I wish you could write every day and that I could too. I think of so many things to tell you and I have such a hard time getting to it. Here are some pictures of all of us. I look awful but maybe that is the real me.
We think we have a sweet family altho they do get through to me once in a while. We took all six of them fishing last Wednesday and it was hectic but fun. Shelley is such a good baby and she is easy to take. Auntie is in Wyoming and we don’t like to leave them with anyone else. Each week at family night the kids get a chance to decide “place to go”, book to read, dessert to have, and dinner to have. Brett chose the part but Bruce came home so excited about fishing that we talked him into going fishing instead of the park and took them to the park yesterday. We have had a fun summer and it is is so busy. I finished (almost) a dress for Jeanne and I have one cut out and ready to sew for Jayne. Mother and Dad Neville came down tonight and brought the twins each a school dress and me two pairs of nylon garments. I really appreciate that. I was just about garmentless except for the pair Auntie bought me and then I have been wearing nylon ones you gave me and they are just huge on me and they keep tearing out. Mother and Dad are so good to us and we do appreciate it. I’m sure this will be Mother’s last year teaching school. She just gets too tired. How are you people doing? Are you still working hard and steadily. I wonder if the blessing you had when you went the first time about the family at home being taken care of still holds over. Bruce isn’t any better and I do with he could get well. It is hard on him to just not feel well most of the time. I think I told you he is working 203 hours a night down at the County Hospital and that is a lot of hours a day. Other than that we are all well and getting excited about Brett’s birthday and school. It doesn’t seem possible that the twins will be starting school. They are really looking forward to it and in a lot of ways are more prepared than Roark was. Roark gave the 2 ½ min talk in church last week and he told the Joseph Smith story. He did it so well and I was so proud of him. He is getting old enough to enjoy now and to teach a little. He loves the record of “The King and I” and today we were listening to the William Tell Overture and we got out our book told him the story of William Tell who shot the apple of his son’s head. He has a quick mind and likes to learn.
I spent the day with Jeannette Friday and Tuesday many, many girls are getting together to plan our 10 year class reunion and Wednesday Maurine and Carma are coming to spend the afternoon. Maurine has 2 boys and a girl and expects another baby in October. Carma has 3 girls and a boy (I think). I enjoy those girls and I’m glad they will come and see me. I find it too difficult to go many places by myself but I enjoy having the kids come here. I wish you could see Stacey. Dad, you would just love her. He is the cutest little kid. Her hair is still so blond and she is talking so cute. She loves to dance and hums along with the records. She mimics me far more than the twins ever did and will play with her doll for long periods of time. I will be so glad when we have more room for the children. Dad, it was so good to have a letter from you. I wish you could write more often. You give me so much information mother forgets about. I’m really thrilled with your weight. I hope you get down to at least 200 lbs. We’re certainly disappointed you won’t be home for Bruce’s graduation but that is really quite insignificant compared to what you are doing – the actual exercises of graduation, not what it actually means to us. We are so proud of you and our only regret is that we can’t be closer. Isn’t it wonderful to think in terms of eternity and to think we can know each other then. I don’t think I’ve told you for a while how much I love you and how much I do appreciate you. It has been a great blessing to be your daughter and I am proud of it.
Take care of yourselves and write when you can. I keep hoping when school starts I’ll have more time but I doubt it. We love you and will be so glad when you’re home.
Love, All of us.
On back of the typed letter, Mom hand writes the following:
Bruce will check on the coat for David and have it sent to you as soon as he can.
Bruce checked this morning before work. A cotton twill (like his pants) will be $5.00 and a beautiful dacron-cotton is $12.75. The cotton twill is a lot harder to iron, etc. The price difference is so great we didn’t know which to get. Send right back and we will do what you want. Bruce says they are nice jackets. Love Me

No comments:
Post a Comment