My maternal grandmother, Eva Willey Hill Trump, is the daughter of polygamists. Her mother, Ann Elizabeth Cowley Willey was the second wife of David Orson Willey.
We were talking about polygamy at a family dinner the other day and my mother brought up the point that her mother never had anything bad to say about polygamy. My grandmother remembers every time her father came home was like a wonderful family home evening. He would come home and say to her mother "Annie, I have a new word for you." And they would learn the new word.
On the other had, my grandmother's sister, Antoinette Willey, hated being the daughter of polygamists. She always felt like an illegitimate child. Auntie, as we called her, never married. She didn't like men very much. Their father's other wife had 11 children and I have no idea how much time he spent with their family.
When Annie and Thomas figured out that their grandmother (my mother) was the granddaughter of polygamists they were somewhat surprised. Thomas said "I didn't know that polygamy was so recent in our family history."
I don't understand polygamy and have very mixed feelings about it. My sister Shelley works at the Church History Library and has asked the church historians why polygamy was started. The answer is always "we don't know." I do know that I am here because of polygamy. My family is one good thing that happened because of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment