Mom did about how I expected; she was tired and hurting but enjoyed the company, attention and meals that we cooked for her. It was dad I was interested in watching. We wondered if his dementia would get worse with the confusion of traveling.
| Mom and dad on the beach |
I caught of glimpse of my old dad one afternoon as he and mom watched a flock of pelicans on the Sea of Cortez. "Oh my word," he said with a delighted laugh as he watched the pelicans diving for fish. I have heard him say that countless times in the past when he saw something that amazed or surprised him.
![]() |
| Mom and dad in the 70s |
Dad loves being around family, his face lights up when ever he sees any of his children and grandchildren. And especially the greats (great grandchildren.) Alison and Brandon and their little boy Russell come down from Tucson for the last half of the week. While they were there Russell learned how to walk. We all looked on with familial pride as he toddled from one piece of furniture to another. I looked over at dad as he was watching Russell and asked him if he was glad came, he looked at me as if it was a silly question and said "Of course I am."
| Jayne, Dave, Alison and Brandon with baby Russell |
Dad still had (and has) times he didn't know what to do and wasn't sure where he was, but I look at him and he is still my dad. I see frustration in his eyes as he chokes on something or tries to remember something or what to do. His dementia has taken away his medicine, his brilliance and many memories, but he is a kind gentle soul, mostly happy with where he is at.
I hope as I age I can learn from my dad, not notice anything but the good and say, "I'm just happy to be here."

I'm trying to come up with a better term for dementia, the dictionary synonyms for which are madness, insanity and lunacy. It also brings to mind the dreaded Dementors from HP. Not our beloved grandpa and dad. We need a gentler, kinder descriptor: Memory loss? Confusion? Even "senility" seems more benign...
ReplyDeleteOr am I just trying to resist sad reality?
Roark says Dementia was the name of Uncle Fester's girlfriend on The Addams Family.
ReplyDeleteJeanne, I love your "just happy to be here" attitude. I hope I can do that.
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to see you all in a few weeks. (cali)
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing this. It makes me feel more included in what's going on.
ReplyDelete