But the biggest surprise of the summer was the delicious watermelons we were able to grow. John has always wanted to grow watermelons, but we just didn't have a long enough growing season in the hollow. A customer, who is a master gardener, recommended a variety called Sugar Baby, it is smaller and more suited to the northern Utah climate. He suggested we start the seeds in the green house in May to lengthen the growing season. The flavor and texture were like the old fashioned watermelon we used to eat, seeds and all. Funny story: I gave Ezra and Travis a slice to eat outside and they didn't know what to do with the seeds. I guess seeded watermelon are becoming a thing of the past.
| Aren't they cute? |
And of course the flower garden was fabulous as always. Best new plant: Black Eyed Susan Vines that I planted in the pots on the side porch and the patio and they took over any support they were close to with just a little coaxing. I was afraid they were going to take over the world, or attack people as they came in the side door! This is just one plant.
new volunteer flowers growing willy nilly where ever they pleased. Petunias, Alyssum, Marigolds, 4 O'clocks, Portulaca, and Pansies grew with wild abandon. I finally understood the saying: "What do you call a flower that grows where you don't want it? A weed." But most I welcomed with open arms.
Your gardening is amazing (and intimidating ;-D)!
ReplyDelete