My favorite Herman Melville work is “Bartleby the
Scrivener.” Admittedly I have never gotten through “Moby Dick”, my dad’s
favorite book, but have read the opening line “Call me Ishmael. . .” enough
times to make it part of my cultural literacy lexicon.
I first read “Bartleby” in college (my second time) when I
was living with two teenagers, a pre teen and a 7 year old as well as a
wonderful supportive husband. I instantly related to the narrators puzzlement
when Bartleby replied to a simple job request with “I would prefer not to.”
Bartleby’s preference to do nothing eventually led him to the loss of his job
and a place to live. He finally starved to death in debtor’s prison, preferring
not to even eat the food he was given.
My teens, especially my second son, were just starting to
push the boundaries of parental expectations, especially where family chores
were concerned and were trying to see what they could get away with not doing. “I
don’t want to”, “why do I have to do?” and “what for?” were frequently heard.
While “I’m the mom and I said so,” made me feel better it wasn’t very effective
as a way to get them to do what needed to be done.
I remember telling them the story of Bartleby around the
dinner table; explaining to them the consequences of an “I prefer not to”
attitude. We laughed as we took their preferences to do nothing to the logical
conclusions: I prefer not to do the dishes, so there will be no clean dishes,
so we can’t cook, so we will all starve to death; I prefer not do my home work,
so I will not get good grades, so I won’t get a scholarship, so I won’t be able
to afford college, so I will have to work at the Sugar Factory (another story)
where it is smelly, hot and pays minimum wage; I prefer not to do my jobs
around the house, so the house will be dirty, so mom will be cranky and we will
all have to live with her.
I am reminded of Bartleby because John and I are teaching
the 17 year olds in Sunday School. We hear Bartleby’s excuse from some of the
teens we teach. My kids tell me Rush (the musical group) says it as well:” If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” I want to put my arms around these teens and
say look at the long term consequences of “preferring not to.” They are real
and you are old enough that inaction is no longer an option. If you don’t
decide, life will do it for you.
One day after our Bartleby
discussion I asked Chris to do something and he looked at me with a twinkle in
his eye and “I prefer not to,” I looked back at him, smiled and said “I know,
but do it anyway.” He did. My college education paid off then and there.
No comments:
Post a Comment