Monday, August 19, 2013

Three Squares and Who Me?

It is always interesting to learn what your adult children thought of you when they were kids.

Erin posted this haiku on face book last weekend:
     A little rant for you
     Kids don't flush poo
     Dog drinks from the loo.
Then when we were face timing with Matt on Sunday he said "Dad, I remember a certain family council when you talked about toilet paper. You told us we should only use 3 squares folded over each other."   He didn't remember why we had that particular family council, he thought we were just being frugal, or as he put it, "your usual cheap selves."  I looked at him and said, "it was because you guys kept plogging up the toilets because you were using too much toilet paper."  He said "I wondered, the  plunger and I were best friends last night. I told Erin we were going to have the toilet paper talk with the kids. When Erin heard 3 squares, she looked at me like I was crazy, so I told her OK 4 squares, inflation you know."  The funny thing is when I heard John say three squares all those years ago, I looked at him like he was crazy and said (to myself) there is no way I am only using three squares!  

The other day we were with Thomas and he said  to me "I always thought you were the obsessive compulsive one in the family, but now I am beginning to think it is dad because he is so annal about his wood projects."  

What? Me compulsive? I'm not compulsive, it's John who is. He's the one who can't let a project go, who gets up at 4:30 to work on them.  I said " How am I compulsive?  Wait, maybe I don't want to know what you thought of me." 

Thomas said,  "You were the one who had to have the table set just right every night, wouldn't let us put a pan on the table, or a food container. Things had to be cleaned your way before company with inspections and everything." 

Shoot. May be I am just a little compulsive. About things that are important to me. Like quilting, and gardening, and etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment