Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mouring But Not Grieving

Martha's funeral week is over. We didn't have the funeral until Friday to give those who lived out of state time to get here and not have to take too much time off work. The best part of the whole week was everyone who came back for the funeral. Carlos was here when Mom Lingard died and stayed with us the entire week rather than go home and come back for the funeral. All nine of her children and most of her 44 grandchildren and many of her 71 great grandchildren were there. Justin and Sarah's baby, Martha's 72nd great grandbaby was born the night of the funeral.

I was thrilled that Matt and Chris both made it. Erin and Megan  insisted their husbands' come even though they could not. John and I both appreciated their thoughtfulness.

We ran into Kerri at Costco after picking up Matt and Chris from the airport and she insisted on taking this picture.
The night of the viewing was like a great big family reunion. Cousins who had not seen each other for years joyfully greeted each other. Aunts and uncles felt just a little bit older when we saw our grown up nieces and nephews with their own children. Matt later said that he felt that the viewing and funeral was for Grandma's children, but it was also a celebration for the grandchildren to get together. 

I was also very touched that all my brothers and sisters and Mom came to the viewing, Jayne came up especially for the funeral and Stacey was here for Erin's new baby Fields. They are such a great family! And we are not all together that often. 

Mom wanted a pictures of her daughters all together (and dressed up.) Too bad Melanie came later.
The funeral was lovely, Marianne, Paul and Rob spoke. John dedicated the grave. Martha's Holladay ward's Relief Society did a fabulous luncheon after the funeral. We got some great pictures of the family.



I know Mom Lingard would be thrilled that her family was together. We were mourning the loss of our dear mother and grandmother, but I don't think we were grieving. She lived a long full life and was ready to join her beloved David. And we celebrated her reunion. 

One of the last things we did before Matt and Chris left was visit my dad. It was something they both wanted to do. I was horrified at how bad Dad looked, but was glad we all went.


We will have to wait for the celebration of his life. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jeanne! I've been thinking about you guys. That is a good distinction 'mourning but not grieving"...I'll have to remember it. I always loved Martha--she was so calming to be around. I'm glad so many people came to town. What a testament to who she was and the Lingard family.

    ReplyDelete