Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dad and the Air Force

Last summer we, my siblings and I, helped mom apply for VA benefits for dad to help pay for the memory unit at the Legacy Center in Bountiful. After months of bureaucracy that assured every "t" was crossed and "i" was dotted he was at last approved for $2000 dollars a month. It was a huge relief for mom as she watched her savings decline by $4700 a month.

I asked mom exactly what dad did in the Air Force. I knew he flew in some kind of bomber and they lived in Rapid City, North Dakota when Roark, Jayne and I were born, but not many of the details. It's one of those times I wished I had asked more questions years ago.

Mom told me that Grandpa Neville said there was a draft notice waiting for dad and Uncle Bob when they came home from their German LDS mission, so they joined the Air Force instead of being drafted.  Mom and dad were married May 14, 1954 after dad got his commission in the Air force as a second lieutenant.  They were stationed at Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City, South Dakota assigned to the B 28 Bombing Wing, from 1955-1957. Dad was a performance flight  engineer for the B-36 Peacemaker. It was a huge bomber designed to fly high,long distances and was equipped to carry nuclear warheads during the Cold War. The B-36 was never deployed for active service but flew reconnaissance missions, practice exercises and competitions. Apparently, the mere threat of the B-36 was enough to make calmer heads prevail in tense Cold War situations. 

Personal and equipment required to keep a B-36 flying.


Dad would go on 24 hour flights over the North Pole into Russia to selected sites where they were prepared to drop their bombs in case of a a nuclear strike. They actually carried unarmed nuclear bombs. He did wilderness survival training in the Sierras where they had to survive for 19 days with only basic supplies like pemmican in case case they were shot down over Siberia. Each flight carried cold weather survival gear for the crew.


Dad in his survival gear with wolverine hoodie.
Mom said he went on these 24 hours flight with an hour pre and post flight checks so he would be gone at least 26 hours per flight. He was in Guam for a 3 1/2  month TDY,

Dad in Guam

was on active alert during the Suez Canal Crisis, meaning he could never be further than 15 minutes away from the line, and went on several flights to Alaska. Mom figured he was gone at least half of the time they lived in Rapid City. Meanwhile she was home alone, with no family, taking care of preemie twins and a one year old. Dad went to Guam right after they brought Jayne and me home from our one month stay in the hospital. She told me "It never occurred to me to ask anyone for help, everyone else was in the same boat I was." 

That's an armful of babies
Dad had opportunities to study meteorology and space medicine as an astronaut , but the commander of the bombing wing would never release him from the award winning bombing crew. Mom said dad didn't want to be a navigator for the B-52, the bomber that phased out the B-36 so he got out of  the service to finish college and start medical school.

I have no idea what my father and father-in-law thought about their service in the United States Armed Forces. Neither one wrote or even talked much about that time of their lives. But I do know that it helped shape them into the fine husbands and fathers they were. There is no other word but sacrifice to describe what they gave for our country. I honor love and respect them and my mother for giving a large part of their young adulthood for the freedoms we now have.

As I honor the family members now serving: Seth and Amanda,  Colby and Jane Anne, Cade and Tailer,  Chase and Caitlin, Alex and Adrianne,  Ben and Ruth and Phil and Kristina.

Thank you. 


2 comments:

  1. I love your posts, especially the amazing pictures that I've never seen. keep it up!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much that I didn't know. I've never seen the photo of Dad in his winter gear. Great photo. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete