February 27, 1961
Dear Folks,
I haven’t written sooner because things have been happening around here and I thought I would wait until things settled down. I just brought the baby home from the hospital and she is such a sweetheart. For some reason on this little one we have had a blood incompatibility. It is similar to the RH problem but not quite as serious. As it was she became very yellow and by the time the doctor checked her she was so yellow they had to do an exchange transfusion on her and then (this was Thursday afternoon) they had to another one Friday morning. It wasn’t the doctor’s fault, he couldn’t stop it, it is just a condition we feel all of the children (except the twins) have had but this little one was just worse and if they hadn’t transfused her she very undoubtedly would not be with us. She is such a sweet little girl. The nurse in the hospital said she hated to see her go that she was so good and only fussed when she was hungry and then she would curl up like a little kitten and go to sleep. I just nursed her and she is fast asleep now. I didn’t think I would be able to nurse as it has been over five days now but I’m trying and then I will give her a bottle if she acts as if she needs it. Brett is the only one home right now and he was with a neighbor until he saw our car. He came running and wanted to “see my sister – our March baby!” I had told the children about her small hands and her little nose and her black hair and her little ears and Brett had to see everything. He was so thrilled and excited and he just jabbers on and on. We went to see the twins last night and they are having such a good time. Stella and Bob and all the children are spoiling them rotten. They bathe every night for a long time and the boys carry them around all the time. Phyllis is just a beautiful girl and she is so good with them. Stella and Bob and the girls bought two rattles and a bib for the baby and then a new half-slip for me. I can’t get over how nice they are. I was so thrilled because just yesterday when I got ready for church I thought how I would love a new half-slip. I got one for my birthday 5 years ago and haven’t really needed one but now I do and I am so pleased. I went to Sunday School as I couldn’t think of any reason to stay home and because I feel so good. I haven’t had one thing to even complain about. I told Bruce I ought to act sickly because if I get tired in a couple of weeks no one will believe me. I am very careful and I do rest and do next to nothing so I am being careful but I do feel far, far better than I have in several months. Auntie has been very good and I really love and appreciate her. She has managed very well and I think it has been good for her. She has eaten better, gone to sleep later, got up earlier, and worked harder than she has in a long time and I really don’t think she is any the worse for it. She has gone home today and I think she will just come up every few days but I surely don’t know what we would have done without her. Yesterday (Sunday) Aunt Lyda brought down the roast, gravy, rolls, and a pie and then bananas. Maxine made a salad and a friend made another pie and another friend made another salad. Saturday the court always prepares the dinner and one girl brought in a casserole, one brought a salad, one brought a cake and the same girl that brought the casserole brought some hot cross buns. You know, it is almost frightening how much we have been blessed. These transfusions cost $150 for the doctor and she had two of them. The doctors don’t charge, or course, and it is almost embarrassing to erase $300 from a conscience in one swipe. Our doctor for me doesn’t charge and Mother and Dad N. are helping with the hospital bill. The baby was really quite serious and I had Auntie put her name in the temple Thursday morning and she is fine now. She will be anemic for several months and we can’t have visitors for about a month but that is purely a precautionary measure. She is strong and healthy and we do so love her and are so thrilled with her.
We got an awfully nice letter from David that I’ll send to you after Auntie has read it. We sure do wish you were here to see your little granddaughter. She is squeaking away in her bassinette for some reason all in her sleep. Well, I go on and on and I think I will lie down for a while. Take care of yourself and write. I still think we’ll name her Shelley but I’m not sure. Oh, to answer some of your questions. I bought me an awfully cute blue and white striped duster. The baby has the traditional 6 undershirts and only 4 nightgowns but I hope to get a couple more. Auntie bought her the cutest dress and bonnet and shoes. It is a darling outfit. I bought some flannel the day I went to the hospital and Auntie is going to have it hemstitched and then crochet around it. The baby has practically no little dress sets and I just love the little Carter outfits. She hasn’t the bootees the twins had and I guess I should not be so proud and put her in some of the old stuff but until she gets older I just hate to put her in anything that is not nice and in good condition. She is still yellow and will be for a while so she won’t be able to wear yellow for Roark couldn’t at first and then it was one of his best colors. Right now she is in a little Carter white with blue print nightie and she looks so sweet. Oh, how I wish you were here! We love you and hope you get home soon and are all well and I know you are happy.
Love
Bruce
Beth Ann
Roark
Jeanne
Jayne
Brett
Stacey
Shelley
1st letter that doesn't say how cute I am..guess Shelley has stole the spotlight...don't think I was quite aware how serious it was.
ReplyDelete