Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Mom's Letter: April 23, 1961

April 23, 1961

Dear Mother and Dad,

I think this is Easter 1961
We received your letter today and it was so good to hear from you.  I have been going to write all week and I wrote to David and I just keep putting it off to do something else.  Bruce just got home from the hospital.  I was going to go to Relief Society tonight for the first time and he called and said he would be late.  He still enjoys it very much and is feeling much better than he has in a long time.  I feel great and we are all well except we think Jayne has infectious mononucleosis.  She seems to be getting a little better but she was always so tired and had no appetite.  She is picking up a little and is getting back to the good natured Jayne we usually have.  Shelley is still the cutest little thing.  She is smiling a little now and it is so precious.  She doesn’t seem to have lost any of her hair and it is still quite dark.  She is the first one of the children who have had long, dark eyelashes and also she has quite a dark browline.  The neighbor said today that Shelley looks just like Bruce.  She is sleeping 6-8 hours a night now and that is nice.  The other children are getting better adjusted but Brett and Stacey are still fussy and ornery.  Stacey had her hair cut today and it is really short.  She is so good when this girl next store cuts it (she is a beautician) but when I try she won’t sit still for a minute.  She is still very fair with pretty pink cheeks.  She has been in corrective shoes since she started to walk and we decided we would try her in canvas shoes and some pretty little patent leather shoes and she is so thrilled with them.  She will take them off and try on the other pair every little while.  I’ll be glad when every member of the family learns to tie their shoes and tie them will.

Bob and Maxine left last Friday and got to Glenrock at about 5 in the evening.  Bob still doesn’t have a job as he can’t practice law until he passes the bar in Wyoming so he is looking for a job.  They have rented an apartment in a duplex and are all ready to settle down and make some money.  I miss them all ready and the children really miss Scot and Julie.  Aunt Lyda called told me that Maxine had called and what she had to say.  We hope to go up this summer some time.

I was so thrilled with the blanket.  I really like the soft yarn on it and it looks so soft and dainty.  She is a very feminine little baby and I love to see her look nice.  I finally got Stacey a little summer outfit with her birthday money.  I just put it away until the summer things came in and it is so cute.  Auntie bought Shelley a darling little white nylon dress for Shelley to be blessed in the day she came home from the hospital.  She also bought her some little shoes and a bonnet but they were actually too small by the time we had her blessed.  She was only five weeks old but they were too small on her so Auntie took them back.  Her little dress is even cuter than the one Stacey had.  She has some awfully cute little outfits but I haven’t dressed her much because it has been too cold and I worry about her so much.  This weather is messy.  We had a good frost as usual and it froze most of the fruit crop but now it is warming up.  I sold the twin stroller and am going to get a new one for Shelley.  The one we had for Roark and Brett and Stacey is just about shot.  We are looking forward to this summer as it will be the last one before he will be busy all the time.  He is through school the 30th of June and we hope to go to Wyoming about then and then come home the 4th of July so he can start work the 5th.  


How are you people feeling.  Are you both well?  How is the school coming?  Can you give and estimation of when you’ll be home.  Do you know the Mitchells.  I just love their daughter.  She is living in their home while they’re gone and I would just love to see her and visit with her.  Please take care of yourselves and don’t work too hard.  I have been quite worried about you these past few days for some reason so please take care. 

Love,  

Note: We always called Uncle Bob and Aunt Maxine's family "Scot and Julie," even into our teens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment