Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How Could I Be So Lucky?

I had Valentine's day dinner all planned out this year. I would make clam linguine with mushrooms and shrimp, roasted asparagus, crusty Spanish bread and a molten chocolate cake for desert. Yum. So I got home from the office and started the bread. I felt just the tinsy beginning of a headache, but not bad. I used my last Maxalt yesterday so was hoping it wouldn't get worse. I went to the store while the bread was raising. By the time I got home I knew dinner was not going to happen, but felt maybe I could finish the bread and make the molten chocolate cake. Fresh bread and chocolate is still a pretty good Valentine's dinner. Alas, by the time I got the bread shaped and in the oven, I knew the cake wasn't going to happen either. Dang.

But then mom called and said she and dad got chicken from Maddox and it was too much for her and dad and wondered if I would like some. I gratefully said yes; at that point I just wanted something for John to have for dinner. When the bread came out, I knew we wouldn't eat both loaves so I thought I could at least manage to walk a loaf down to Lisa Sappenfield so her family could enjoy the hot bread. When I got home Lisa called and said "I should have given you some of my Dr. Pepper ribs so we both could have ribs and fresh bread for dinner." (She has been promising me her Dr. Pepper ribs for months).

Although it wasn't the perfect Valentine's Day dinner I had planned, I did feel loved. John got home and was more concerned for me than a romantic dinner. He got to eat yummy ribs and bread for dinner. I have left over chicken for dinner tonight. Roark brought me some Maxalt. And John made me this marvelous book case for Valentine's day. How could I be so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment