Thursday, February 17, 2011

Wait on the Lord

Shelley sent out an email on this scripture: Psalms 27:14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

She commented “I am not very good at waiting on the Lord being the impatient soul that I am. I loved "be of good courage and he shall strengthen thine heart" and found comfort there but I was wondering if any of you have any good suggestions on how to wait on the Lord? David mentions it twice in one short verse so it must be important.”

I found it interesting that the comments were from the nieces and nephews. Waiting on the Lord must be something that we have to learn early and then do often throughout our lives. Erin E, Kaitlyn and Cade all defined the verb ‘to wait’. Erin said: “when I think of wait I think of to be still. To wait for an anwser and to have patience.” She made the analogy that as she serves the Lord she is waiting on Him like a waitress waits, and does everything he asks of her by following the commandments. Kaitlyn looked up the definition and found “to be in readiness for-or-to attend upon, especially as a sign of respect. “ Cade answered from Brazil: “it´s interesting because in Portuguese they use the word -esperar- which means to hope, so I hope in the Lord instead of wait. For Taylor waiting on the Lord is tied with trusting the Lord. What wise words from our next generation.

Courage is the next logical step to waiting on (serving, hoping in, and trusting) the Lord. It takes courage to acknowledge we cannot do everything we need to do to return to our Father in Heaven alone. We have to rely on Him. We need to let go of our pride, ask for help and then wait. When we courageously turn things over to the Lord our problems are not magically solved, we still need the courage to continue, doing all that we can and having faith it will work out. I often have to tell myself “Be still and know that [He] is God.”

The scripture Kaity used sums it all up: But they that await upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31) If we have the courage to wait on the Lord, He will strenghten us and give us heart to carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment