I was cleaning the computer room the other day and came across a picture of John's grandfather, Ernest Valentine Lingard, in what looked like a World War I uniform. It's a really cool picture, kind of sepia toned. When we were at Martha's today she told us that he was in the Candian Calvery. I assumed it was a United States uniform. I had forgotten he was from Canada.
![]() |
| Some people say they can see Chris in this picture, especially the nose and mouth. |
John didn't really know his grandfather that well. His Grandmother Rachel died of a heart attack when she was in her late 50s and his grandfather remarried. When John was growing up his grandfather spent most of his time with his new wife's family. She died soon after we were married. At her furneral John was really suprised at all the good things her children and grandchildren had to say about Grandfather Lingard. John said it was like they were talking about a completely different person that the grandfather he knew. I have often thought how sad that was. Our grandchildren will never have to say that they didn't know their grandfather very well. John is a fabulous grandfather.

No comments:
Post a Comment